Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

What a way to start the day

This morning I met my wonderful husband at his workplace for a Biometric Screening. I was thrilled dreading it all week. I was only doing it because my sweet persistent money conscious husband told me encouraged me to.

If we would do this then our insurance would give us a discount.

Now that I am on the other side of it...it was soo not worth it.

I had to fill out some ridiculous paperwork(it was only ridiculous bc it was before 8am and I don't like giving out some of that information) and then be herded like cattle through the stations.

At each station was a young, thin, woman waiting to humiliate me. Okay, the blood pressure wasn't that big of deal. Mine has always been fairly good but it is so awkward sitting there with your arm in the sphygmomonometer with nowhere to look but at the complete stranger who would rather be anywhere but there with you.

The next station was to measure height, weigh you, and measure BMI and percetnage of body fat. Oh joy. Just what I wanted.

They height-yeah, I know I'm short. Always have been.

The weight-yup, it's too much. Working on that.

The BMI? bleh. It says that I am obese. Yup, you read that right. OBESE. On top of that was the percentage of body fat in this here body of mine. It was VERY HIGH. TOO HIGH.

Tsking noises didn't make me feel any better.

The last stop was the blood station. A tight-lipped woman came at me with a needle and shoved it into my arm. She was not very good at drawing blood. Believe me, I have had my share of blood draws in my day and she was not good at it.

The morning finished with my self-esteem in the gutter. Did I not know that I was/am overweight? Of course I do. Btu it was a reality slap that I could have done without in front of strangers. Ya know?

ugh. School must go on and life will carry on much like it always does. Right?

1 comment:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

Ugh is right...and I can commiserate! In fact, I MUST do so every stinkin' August, as part of the "voluntary" screening required by my husband's employer. It is voluntary, in that we don't have to do it...IF we aren't interested in having any insurance at all! Yeah, right. So I stress for weeks ahead of time, endure the humiliation of being measured (yep, with a tape measure) and weighed...and then I can't do a thing when I know their scale was wrong. I just have to suck it up and "look forward" to the same invasion a year later. (((hugs)))