Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

This is what I want them to remember

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that homeschooling has been all sunshine and roses lately.  It hasn't been.  In fact this season has been one of the hardest I can remember.  We have struggled to focus, get things done, and to just be nice to one another. 

I know part of that is getting used to Bug being here.  You would think that we would be in a groove by now and we kind of are.  But as she gets older and gains new skills, our adjustment has to change as well.  She is a treasure and we love her so much but none of us remembered what it was like having a toddler under foot while doing school! lol

So, we are trying new things. 

I have been ignoring the growing movement of Workboxes for a while now because my girls don't want or need them.  And...I don't have the time or inclination to put them together.  Mrs. Super-Duper Organized I am not.

BUT...Bug needs to learn to play on her own and we need her to be occupied while we are doing school.  So, bring on the Workboxes!

I started paying attention to the blogs that are using this system and got excited.  This was totally doable.  I knew that we could come up with some things that Bug would love and would help teach her the skills she needs for her age.  We could even get involved in making the things we need.  Bonus school time there!!

To see some fabulous workboxes in action head over to Confessions of a Homeschooler and check them out!

Okay, here we go.

Plastic tubs were bought, toys were sorted, some new ones were bought, a book shelf was moved, and a plan was formed. 

I told the girls the rules for these boxes and that we were going to help Bug learn to play by herself as well as teach her new things.  They were completely on board. 

We only have a few boxes filled but Bug is already loving them.  She is learning that only one box at a time is down and before another comes down the toys have to be picked up and put away.  The hard thing for her is that she wants to play with these toys all the time and they are only for when we are doing school.  I know she will get used to it and I look forward to seeing her learn new things.

Anyway...

All that to say that tension and stress have been a little high around here lately.  So this afternoon after Bug went with Grandma the girls still had school to do.

Did we get it done? 

Yup.

But not before there were tears..  Tears from laughing so hard our stomachs hurt.  For over an hour we giggled, snorted, teased, and enjoyed each other.  It was a fabulous afternoon and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I have missed this and I know the girls have too.  Afternoons like this are what I want them to remember.

I am so thankful that the Lord slowed me down and let me relax enough to share this precious afternoon with my sweet girls. What a gift.


**I will try to get some pics of our workboxes soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We've started doing workboxes with The Nip Napper too...it helps, somewhat....at least he isn't tearing things up 100% of the day ;-)