Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Way too cool!

About a week and a half ago, my 8yodd was sitting with my 5yodd and they were whispering.  I couldn't tell what it was but they are constant playmates and so I didn't think anything about it.  Later that evening, I heard a little more of what they were doing.  

It made me cry.

"An 'a' makes an 'ah' sound, 'e' makes 'eh'..."  and so it went.  Then, I heard words being sounded out.  "D-o-g, says Dog."

Our 8yo was being very patient and sweet.  Eventually she came over to me and asked me to write a bunch of three letter words that she could teach the 5yo.  I didn't think too much of it.  They were 'playing' school and it was cute!

Fast forward to the next week in school.  I am helping the 5yo with her schoolwork and she starts sounding out words. 

She was reading and understanding them!  Then she found a Dr. Seuss book and wanted to read it.  I didn't have enough time to sit with her for very long, but I thought we could at least get started.

(I don't have a ton of patience for new readers sounding out the same word 500 times in a sitting!)

From the first page, I was astounded.  Not only was she sounding them out-she was understanding what she was reading. 

It was amazing!  I am so proud of our newest reader and I am proud of our 8yo.  She is so patient and loving with a servant's heart. 

Did I mention that I love homeschooling?  ;-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so wonderful! I love watching the kids learn to read! It's a great accomplishment for you and them both! :) Congrats to her and to you!

Beauty said...

We all have gifts from Heavenly Father, it is so wonderful to see them at such a young age! love m

Kristine said...

(Where's that LIKE button on blogger?!)

(((Renita)) Too sweet!