Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Eyes Have It

Taking all four kids to the eye doctor all at the same time is an adventure.  Now, I have great kids; but sitting quietly in a waiting room for who knows how long would try anyone's patience. 

I amde sure that they all had their schoolwork with them so there was plenty of busy work. 

Thankfully, there wasn't much of a wait until they started calling our names.  One by one they went back for the pre-tests.  When our youngest came back, she declared "That was easy!"  lol 

Then they called my oldest and the lady told me that I didn't need to come back with her.  hmm  Really?  Wth all four kids needing exams, I thought they would take us all together.  I let her go, but was uneasy with it.

Now, she is twelve so she is old enough to handle it by herself and I love our doctor so there is no worry there.  But, I knew that her eyes had gotten worse and I needed to ehar what he was going to say.  I sat there half on my chair and half off trying to decide what to do, when my 10yodd said that I had better make a decision quickly.

Thenk, another person was called.  It was a teenage girl.  As she was walking back my 10yo said, "See her mom is going with her."  Nice. 

I got up and away we all went.

It was as I suspected, her eyes are worse.  New glasses. 

The youngest was next and it was a riot.  She's 5.  She just learned how to read.  So...instead of saying what letter she saw she sounded them out!  lol It was hilarious.  Our doctor took it in stride.  :)  Her eyes are normal for her age and considering that she was blind when she was born-it's amazing.

Next was the 8yodd.  Her eyes are perfect!  She takes after me.  No, seriously; my eyes are great. 

Last but not least was our 10yodd.  She had a lazy eye until she was about 3 and has had problems with her eyes tracking together.  She has bi-focals and has almost no depth perception.  She struggles with reading, but it's getting better.  Her eyes did not get any worse!  Yay!  What a blessing for her.  We were also told that she could be done with the bi-focals in a few years.  :)  Smiles were had all around.

Our hour and a half in the office wasn't so bad; but by the time we were done, I was too.  Someday, it won't be like that and I will only have a few left at home and I will long for the days of busyness and chaos.  Remind me, will ya?


1 comment:

Beauty said...

How funny, made me remember back a few years...yes in a few years you will feel the pain of them leaving...but thank goodnes they come back...then they will start watching you for signs that you need a nursing home or living with them or if they need to take your driving license away. Retain you sense of humor and it won't see so bad, I think.