Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Monday, March 29, 2010

How Do You...

handle it when a truly non-competitve child wants to play a competitive sport?  We have one.  It's tough.  She is 8yo and just about the most sensitive soul I have ever met.  She is compassionate, giving to a fault, thoughtful, loving, gentle, sweet, funny, quirky, sharp as a tack, and couldn't care less about winning a soccer game.  The problem?  Well, she wants to play soccer.  She's on a team at AYSO, which is good because they are a non-competitive league (supposedly); BUT her team wants to win. 

This child has been known to do cartwheels in the goaly box and just watch the other kids fight over the ball.  Seriously.  She will just watch the kids and the ball go right past her and just watch.  It is a little frustrating!  I am not terribly competitve, I like to win but if I don't, okay no biggie. 

With the kids the thing I care more about is if they are playing their hardest.  Doing their best.  I do not like to see my children out there giving only half an effort.   Play hard or go home.  Right?

Well, I can't do this with this child.  The pushing and jostling of soccer makes her cry.   She takes it as a personal attack against and it hurts her feelings! lol  She thinks they are being mean to take the ball from her.  I have tried to explain that that is the point of the game.  She just looks at me and says, "They do all that just to get a ball?"  I didn't know what else to say!

We are taking the approach of Toughen up a  little.  Be a little more aggressive.  Fight for what you have.  Don't give up so easily.  I don't know how else to say, Quit being a baby!  roflol  I'm not completely serious, but I kind of am.  She needs to toughen up a little or the world is going to eat her alive.


1 comment:

Beauty said...

Man I know how she feels. I don't like to compete to win because I don't want to make someone else feel bad. Her gentle spirit will make a way for her.