Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

TOS Crew Math Tutor Reviews

Photobucket
I was given two DVD's from MathTutorDVD.com.  I was thrilled to be getting these because Math is a struggle for me.  I missed many key components in my early Math education and so I never 'got' the higher Maths.  Trying to teach my girls concepts I don't understand is a bit daunting, to say the least.


So, when we received these DVD's I couldn't wait to watch them.  Especially since my oldest is ready for Pre-Algebra and it scares me silly.  The two DVD's we were sent were The Pre-Algebra Tutor Volume 1 and The Texas Instruments TI-83/TI-84 Calculator Tutor.


I had never heard of this company before so I spent some time on their website and was pleased at what I found.  There is a great home page with easy to navigate links, free sample videos, free online calculators, and so much more that I can't list them all.  One important page to look at is The MathTutorDVD.com Story.   This is a great synopsis of what they are about and why they do what they do.  Another important page is Our Guarantee.  Not many companies give a 30-day money back guarantee anymore!  This makes me feel like I could buy with confidence.

Now for what I thought of the DVD's.

I'll start with The Texas Instruments TI-83/TI-84 Calculator Tutor.

Honestly, I have never even seen a calculator like this one!  I did go and look at them after I rec'd the DVD but I'm pretty sure I would never own one let alone use one.  However, I think that with this DVD I could actually figure it out if I needed to.  I was pretty nervous when I put the disk in; I was afraid at how stupid it would make me feel.  That didn't happen.  Right from the start, I was comfortable with the instruction and completely at ease with what was being taught.

Granted, it was just the introductory session pointing out what was on the calculator and what the buttons were for!  But still, I could follow it and keep up.  I loved how the screen was split showing the buttons on one side and the screen of the calculator on the other side.  It made for watching the process very simple and easy to understand.  I am sure that if I understood what he was talking about, I could use this calculator after watching these DVD's.

Photobucket

This DVD set is 8 hours of video tutorial!  It is a three disk set that is comprehensive and complete.  Here is what is included on these DVD's:
Disk 1
Section 1: Overview of the Calculator
Section 2: The Mode Menu
Section 3: Basic Arithmetic and Exponents
Section 4: Logarithms and Square Roots
Section 5: Sin, Cos, Tan
Section 6: Scientific Notation and Storing Variables
Section 7: The Math Menu and Catalog Menu
Section 8: Convert between Fractions and Decimals
Section 9: Finding the Min and Max of a Function
Section 10: Calculating Derivatives and Integrals
Section 11: Absolute Value, Rounding, and Integers
Section 12: Converting between Degrees and Radians
Section 13: Working with Complex Numbers

Disk 2
Section 14: Using the Equation Solver
Section 15: Graphing and Tracing Functions
Section 16: Using Tables and Split Screen Modes
Section 17: Find the Exact Value of a Function Using Graphing
Section 18: Finding the Zeros of a Function using Graphing
Section 19: Finding the Max and Min of a Function using Graphing
Section 20: Finding Intersections of Functions using Graphing
Section 21: Finding the Derivative of a Function by Graphing
Section 22: Calculating the Definite Integral by Graphing
Section 23: Drawing on a Graph
Section 24: Graphing and Tracing Sequences

Disk 3
Section 25: Graphing and Tracing Parametric Equations
Section 26: Converting between Rectangular and Polar Coordinates
Section 27: Graphing and Tracing Polar Equations
Section 28: Permutations, Combinations, and Factorial
Section 29: Working with Histograms and Box Plots
Section 30: Graphing Statistical Scatter Plots
Section 31: Calculating Mean, Median, Standard Deviation, and more
Section 32: Performing Statistical Regression
Section 33: Calculating with Matrices
Section 34: Solving Systems of Equations with Matrices
Section 35: Calculating Interest Rates
Section 36: Calculating Mortgages and Loans
Section 37: Calculating Savings and Investments

This 8 Hour comprehensive 3-DVD course teaches you how to use all of the major functions of the TI-84 / TI-83 graphing calculator by working example problems.  In this way, the student "learns-by-doing" rather than a long dry lecture or with the "aid" of a dry printed manual.
Can you believe all that is on there?  It is amazing!  These DVD's sell for $31.99 but are on sale for $26.99 when ordering through this website.  Go here to watch a sample video of the first section of this set.  I think you will be impressed.


Photobucket

The next DVD I was given to review was The Pre-Algebra Tutor Volume 1.  This set is a 5 Hour Video Tutorial with 2 discs that sells for $34.99 with a sale price of $26.99.  And it is worth every penny!

Again, I admit that I don't have a the greatest background in Math but even I found this DVD very easy to understand.  The explanations were thorough and clearly given.  While I think that the student must have a strong knowledge and grasp of the basic material to take advantage of this DVD, it would be most helpful in furthering their knowledge and getting a better understanding of Pre-Algebra. 

Here is a sample of the DVD:





This two-disk set includes:
Disk 1Sect 1 - Real Numbers
Sect 2 - The Number Line
Sect 3 - Greater Than, Less Than, Equal To
Sect 4 - Absolute Value and Adding Integers
Sect 5 - Subtracting Integers
Disk 2
Sect 6 - Multiplying Integers
Sect 7 - Dividing Integers
Sect 8 - Powers and Exponents
Sect 9 - Order of Operations



I had my 12 year old daughter watch and here is what she thought:

"Pre-Algebra Tutor was indeed a learning experience.  When my mom first told me it was 5hours long, I felt an overwhelming sense of awe!  But my mom let me watch it in sections and it wasn't nearly as bad as I though it would be.  I learned new things and actually understood it."

She doesn't like Math so this is saying something!


MathTutorDVD.com is a great website with many things to offer.  You can buy the DVD's individually or you can become a Member and pay $19.95 monthly to have access to ALL the DVD's.  That is a great deal!  There are other benefits to Membership, go check them out here.

These DVD's are a wonderful asset to our homeschool and I know they would be to yours as well.   They would also be valuable as a way to supplement what your kids are learning in public/private school. 

To investigate these DVD's further or to place your order, here is the info you will need.
You may call  toll-free at:
1-877-MATH-DVD

Or Email  At: support (at) mathtutordvd.com

Mailing Address is:
MathTutorDVD.com
PO Box 1165
Seabrook, TX, 77586


You can find more reviews of this product at The Homeschool Crew Blog.

**I was given these DVD's as part of the TOS Crew  for my honest review and opinion.  I rec'd no further compensation.






1 comment:

Mrs. White said...

Great job! These DVDs are wonderful!

Blessings
Mrs. White