Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ranting and Raving about Hypocrisy

Okay, I have read the Twilight books and I liked them.  I also read 1984 and liked it.  Liz Curtis Higgs is one of my favorite authors.  Jane Austen rocks!  Dickens-yup!  I have read a wide variety of authors and genres and will continue to read as many books as I can.

Here's what I don't get.  The controversy that the Twilight books caused in the Christian community.  It's crazy.  Not that we shouldn't be careful about what we read; we should.  I just find it interesting that the bandwagon is chock-full of people fussing and fuming over these books and yet they tout authors like Ted Dekker just because they claim to be Christian authors.  Huh?

I have written before about my disgust with Ted Dekker.  I don't find his books to be Christian at all.  Are they well written.  Sure, I guess.  If you like to focus on dark, disturbing images that is.  There seems to be an out of balance focus on the dark side of things in Dekkers books.  I know there are some that would argue the redemption theme or the analogy of Christ theme; but I just don't see it.  How can a book focus so much on the dark, icky side of things and then for a moment of the book say something vague about Christianity and be considered Christian? 

I don't get it.  And it makes me angry.  Can you tell? lol

The same people that get worked up about Twilight will probably not have a problem with Dekkers latest book, Immanuel's Veins.  But let me tell you-it is a dark loving, focus on the evil, blood-fest.  I found out far more in this book about the different ways vampires suck blood and the sensual things it does to them than in the Twilight books.  I felt dirty after reading this book of Dekkers.  Just like the others I have tried of his. 

I keep trying his books because people keep going on and on about them and how wonderful they are.  Like this new one.  There are glowing comments in the front of the book that are reminiscent of the stir that came from the Twilight crowd.  One person states that they read it three times in five days and two weeks later was on reading number seven.  I can't imagine focusing on this book that many times.  Eeww.  There was so much talk of blood, drinking blood, sucking blood, pouring blood, etc in this book that it made my stomach turn.

Really. 

I cannot say enough that I don't consider Ted Dekker a Christian author.  Read him for what he is-a tame version of Stephen King.  He's also an author that I would encourage my children to stay away from.  At least with the Twilight books and others like them, you know going in that it isn't a Christian book and can judge it appropriately.  This book and author are somewhat deceiving, in my opinion, and can easily bring someone's focus to land too heavily on the dark side of things. 

These are just my opinions so take them with a grain of salt!

I'm done with my ranting and raving now.  I am going to pick up a nice safe book like Eragon and get lost in another world for a while! lol


2 comments:

berrypatch said...

Because of this and what I have read from others, I won't read his books. There are authors all over the place who I won't read for one reason or another but thankfully far more that I WILL read. ;-)

Kristine said...

Excellent post, Renita. I've never gotten into Dekker's books, but I definitely appreciate the warning for my kids. :)