Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Not So Great Feeling

While I am laying in bed waiting for my pain medicine to kick in, I thought I would do some blog cruising.  The mistake I made was to cruise through a blog hop all about school rooms.

It made me feel bad.  Jealous.  And generally like a not so good homeschool mom.  I know it's dumb but if you read the list of seven things about me from the post with the blog awards, you know that I am insecure.

I kept going to these different blogs and the more I saw, the more jealous and discontent I became.  Some of these school rooms were unreal, ya'all.  I mean seriously they looked like they came out of a magazine. 

First of all they were sparkling clean.  That almost never happens here.  Ever.  Then they had all kinds of bookshelves, tables, desks, extra things that I had never thought of until now.  And now I am trying to figure out how we can renovate or buy all the things that made their rooms so wonderful.

Ugh  I hate that feeling.  I am usually a fairly content person.  I don't need to play the "keep up with the Joneses" game and I don't really care if someone got new furniture or whatever.  So why is this bothering me so much?  Why do I even care what those other school rooms look like if ours is working well for us?

I don't know. 

But I do know that I am not going to be cruising that blog hop any longer and I am going to focus on the blessing of being able to home school at all.  At least we have a room that we can use as a school room, right?  Of course right!

7 comments:

Karla said...

I wish there was a way to filter it to only see the ones that DON'T have a space dedicated solely to homeschooling. That's what I'd like to see. Otherwise, I'm afraid I might join you in being discontent! We are definitely blessed to be in lovely homes that fit our needs and to be with our children. Hope you feel better soon!!

Tristan said...

That happens to me sometimes too! I have to be careful to remind myself that if what we have is working, there's no need to try something else (this applies to curriculum a lot of the time too...LOL). It is also like I tell my kids, who ask if we can buy a farm, I tell them that God put us here for now, so we'll stay and enjoy it.

Still, it's not always easy. Sigh.

Debbie Phillips said...

You can check out mine. I just posted last night. We use workboxes and the boxes are cardboard. We do school at our dining room table and we have a shower board for a white board. We do have bookshelves but they are in the living room and upstairs hallway. Check it out if you want. It may help. I totally understand where you are coming from. My house is definitely not one that belongs in a magazine.

i cant decide said...

Ah, I was starting to feel the same way but I know we don't need a lot of those things. I don't even have finished walls but I don't care because this is our first homeschool room and I've been schooling for 14 years. I try to look at the other rooms to get ideas for mine.

SisterTipster said...

Oh girl...I so get it! AND let me tell you, FOR ME it took ten years to get OVER it LOL!! Remember that the REAL schoolroom is THE WORLD!
Sending you a hug,,(and go read mine...you will laugh!) Hey, GLAD I'm not the only one with dirt and well,,, LOL!

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

We have 1/4 of the tiny garage that has sheetrock - I just store all of our books in here. I also have my crafting things in here, and I like to come out to not see dirty dishes or laundry, except the laundry is also in the garage, so I squeeze my eyes shut an pray that no one left the machette out while I go to my closet. :) I like the life we have carved out of our small home. I love where God has placed us. I havn't hopped yet even though I added a link. . . . Maybe I shouldn't peak. I loved Barb's post on the handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com of her kids lounging in the yard and on couches. :)

berrypatch said...

Yup. I started skipping through quickly. I find it very hard to be content at times with where we live. Then I remind myself it's PAID for (no mortgage) and it fits our needs. It may not be what I want but it's what works. We're in the process of building an addition and I'll finally get a dedicated learning space. I'm curious to see if we ever actually use it. ;-)