Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

An Offering

Yesterday morning as I was doing my devotions in my reading room, I noticed the coffee table.  Sometimes I can go through my days not noticing what is right in front of me and other times it smacks me right in the face.  This was one of those days. 

I sat on the couch reading and looking for verses for a devotional I was writing and really looked at the center piece on the table.  There was a candle, a pretty dish, and in the dish were dried, old flowers. 

I remember the day the girls brought them to me. They were so proud of themselves for finding them!  They ran in to the house and presented them to me.  The looks on their faces was priceless.  They were presenting me with a precious gift for the sole purpose of bringing me joy.

And it did bring me joy.  I left them on the table in that pretty dish for all to see and to remind me of the love of my children.

But it also got me to thinking.  How often do I bring my gifts or offerings to God just to bring Him joy?  Not often enough, if I'm being honest.  But there are times when I bring them and lay them at His feet.  It is an amazing feeling to offer back to God what He has given to me. 

So why is it that so often my offerings look like what I found on my coffee table?  The flowers that my daughters so lovingly offered to me shriveled up and died.  It was a one time gift.  Is that what I am offering God?  Am I bringing my gifts, my offerings, my talents, my time only once in a while?  Letting them shrivel and dry up until I remember to do it again?  Is it an afterthought?  Or is it even thought of at all?



May I live every day offering up my life to the One who made me and is worthy to receive my offering.


1 comment:

Debbie said...

Wonderful thoughts, Renita.