Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Homeschool Conventions?

Do you go to homeschool conventions?  If so, do you go to the local ones or do you go to the 'big show' conventions?

I have been to both.  A few years ago I might have told you that I prefer the 'big show' conventions to the local ones but that is not the case now.

I am so looking forward to going to our local homeschool convention this weekend.  It is in my hometown, which is a bonus, and it will be filled with people that are from my region.  I like that.  I also like that the people running the convention can gear the happenings of the convention to what is going on our lives-not just generic things.

But I also like supporting our local homeschool organizations.  It is too important to offer this support and we should all go to our local conventions.  The 'big show' conventions are money makers and are not there to support the grass roots effort that homeschooling is.  My local convention is getting my money this year and every year after.

I am also excited about the speakers and workshops that our TPA Convention is offering this year.  Diane Craft, Todd Wilson, and a host of other presenters will be on hand to encourage us. 


Todd is the author of Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe, Help! I’m Married to a Homeschooling Mom and The Official Book of Homeschooling Cartoons, is a dad, writer, conference speaker, and former pastor. Todd’s humor and gut-honest realness have made him a favorite speaker at homeschool conventions across the country and a guest on Focus on the Family.
As founder of Familyman Ministries, his passion and mission are to remind dads and moms of what’s most important through a weekly e-mail for dads, seminars, and books that encourage parents.
Todd, and his wife Debbie, homeschool their eight children in northern Indiana and travel around America in the Familyman Mobile. You can visit his website here - Family Man Ministries


Dianne Craft is a former homeschool mom who has a Master’s degree in Elementary and Special Education.  She has 25 years’ experience teaching bright, hardworking children who have to work too hard to learn.  She teaches parents across the country how to help their child learn faster and easier, using therapies and strategies that are very effective while being very inexpensive. Dianne is passionate about training parents to make learning easier for their homeschooled children.  Her workshops are very informative and often entertaining.  She is a Certified Natural Health Professional specializing in natural treatments for children with attention, learning, and behavioral issues.  Dianne is president of the educational consulting firm, Child Diagnostics, Inc., in Littleton, Colorado.  www.diannecraft.org


The vendor hall is full and waiting to be explored.  You know I'm gonna be spending a lot of time there!  I always love Rainbow Resources Center, Usborne, and Math U See; but this year there are more I am going to visit.  Like Science Education Center and The Logic of English to name a couple. 


Wanna come?  Go here and register. Wanna see the workshops I'm trying to decide between?  Go here to find out.

Let me know if you are going to be there and we can meet up.  I love meeting  people over the smell of books.  ;-)

Be looking for more posts about the TPA Convention as the week progresses.  I will even be taking notes and posting from the convention!!


I'll let you know our curriculum choices after I buy everything.  lol

For now, I need to go print off the workshop schedule so I can plan my days. 

1 comment:

Leah Courtney said...

I love homeschool conventions! We have always gone to our local convention, but last year we tried the big convention route. We didn't like it. :( And, when we went to the local one later in the year, their attendance had really suffered because the big convention was local to us also. This year, our local group decided to take a break, and they recommended we all go to Teach Them Diligently. We did and it was great!

Enjoy your convention. I love Todd Wilson and have heard him at our convention. :-)