Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Night to Remember

Have you ever volunteered to have a bunch of silly, crazy, girls spend the night at your house and you are not even one of them?

Well, I did.

Our homeschool group is made up of some absolutely wonderful families. In those families, there are girls that are very dear to my heart. Their ages range from 10 years old to 16 years old. A few of them are going to public school next year and won't be with us any longer. :( I am continually impressed with these young ladies and the depths of their hearts.

So anyway, on to the sleepover.

During the Home Ec class in our group, the girls decided that they wanted to have a sleepover. But who would host it? They were so excited about the idea, giggling and planning, that I just leapt forward and said YES!

What was I thinking? Nine girls, all night long. Um...

It started last night at six o'clock and is still going on this morning at ten o'clock!

I didn't know that 'little' girls could eat so much food! There was more snack food than I think I have seen in any one place for a long time. It was very yummy. I went to bed with a stomach ache!


We decided to play outside since the water was BEAUTIFUL. We played tag and then we decided to play Bigger and Better. In this game you start out with something small like a bobby pin and go to someones house and ask if they have something bigger and better. Anything.

Our neighbors were really good sports; most of them. The girls ended up getting a clothes pin, a calendar page, and some wrapping paper!

We then moved inside and spray painted our hair. The choices were pink, green, and sparkles. I think that the air in the room might have been illegal at one point! The curling irons and straighteners came out next along with the make up.

Next was movies. Princess Bride was up first and the then Enchanted. By the time Enchanted was over it was around 1:30 and lights were to be out by 2 am.

I went upstairs and read on the couch and heard talking and giggling until around 5 or so. At 6 am I was startled awake by an alarm. I ran around the house trying to figure out where it was coming from. Finally I went downstairs and it was coming from the room with all the girls in it. It was pitch black in there and the alarm was blaring. Did any of them wake up? NO I was fumbling around in the dark trying to find the silly thing and then I was trying to figure out how to turn it off without turning the lights on.

Still, none of them woke up. I went back upstairs to catch a little more sleep and by 7 I was waking everyone up.

Boy were they happy to be waking up!!! They were not very happy with my singing and didn't like the songs that I had chosen. ;) When they were finally awake, we had cinnamon rolls and orange juice. Needless to say, there was not a lot of conversation during breakfast.


The next movie was watched this morning waiting for the moms. What a Girl Wants is actually a cute movie!

For now, they are putting more color is hair and I am starting to feel a little dizzy as the cloud of smoke is coming at me!

As I sat listening to their conversations last night, I was thinking that this is exactly what I want. I want to be the house that my girls and their friends want to congregate at. I want to be the 'cool' mom so to speak. Not necessarily the one that is their friend; but the one that they want to bring their friends home to. I want to be the go to house and I want to maintain that close and open relationship with my daughters and their friends.

I hope that I can do this many more times in the future with this group and with the ones that are my next daughters ages. That is another group of girls that I really enjoy being around.

2 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

What a fun time! It is so great to see that group knitting together as friends. Bittersweet to be sending off some of the bunch, though!

Very cool.

Kristine said...

Renita, what a blessing you are to all of these girls. They definitely have had a night to remember, and ALL of your dd's will remember it fondly too.

Thanks for the movie tip, I just requested it from my library. :)