Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Friday, July 24, 2009

In my devotion time I picked up a book that I had previously put down for a long while. Now, I'm not sure why I ever put it down! It's the Busy Mom's Guide to Bible Study by Lisa Whelchel and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it and just how much I learned by reading it.

The exercise for the day was one of my choice. I could read the Scripture aloud and emphasize one word at a time, choose a Topical Study, or use the Dictionary to re-define words and make the passage more clear.

I chose the Dictionary. I enjoy this exercise. It is interesting to me how the understanding of a verse can change slightly when the words are pulled out further.

The verse to practice this on was John 14:6.

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I looked up nine of the words and then tried to put it all together in some meaningful way! It is a little clunky but here it is.

Jesus spoke with authority to him, "I have been and always will be the only path and manner of living, an established fact, in addition to the principle or force that underlies the distinctive qualities of animate objects. Not anyone arrives or appears to the Creator of the Universe but by way of me."




I highly recommend this book and am thinking of trying out some of her other books. But not until after camp!


1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Love your rewritten verse! Great exercise.