Pages That Might or Might Not Be of Interest to You!

Monday, December 31, 2007

Where does the time go?

Can you believe that tomorrow is 2008? I, for one, cannot. I am still wondering where 2007 is. As I sit here and think about a new year, I reflect about the year that is closing and try to remember if I did everything thing that I was supposed to. Did I do all the things that I wanted to? Did I do any of them?

Let's see...

Did I spend enough time with my family? Well, we homeschool so there was lots of time. But what kind of time was it? Was it time that was full of listening and understanding sprinkled with grace and love? Was it time that was spent really getting to know each of my family members and who God made them to be? Was it sweet time of quiet and rest? Or was it time teaching them life lessons seasoned with wisdom and knowledge given by the Giver of all good things?

Did I accomplish something important this year? Hmmm. What do you mean by important? Did I cure some disease, or feed the hungry, or house the poor? Did I bring about world peace? Did I make lots of money and build up my empire? Did I listen to the heart of my children when they were in trouble and needed help? Did I listen to the heart of my husband during a fight?

Did I acquire enough things? Are you talking about a new widescreen t.v.? Or maybe new shoes and a matching purse? Are you talking about new furniture? A new house? A new car? A new wardrobe? Did I acquire love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control? Did acquire a deep and abiding love for the Word?

Did I have enough me time to figure out who I was and what I want? Did I pass up opportunites to minister to someone because I just needed some down time? Did I miss the golden moment with someone ready to accept Jesus because it was my turn to pamper myself. Did I figure out who I was only to realize that I didn't like who I became? Did I figure out that what I want isn't anything that I have? Did I ask the One who made me to figure out who I was?

I am afraid that I would have to say no to a great many of these questions. I can look back on the year and decide that I didn't do enough, say enough, get enough and be upset by it. Or I can be realistic and see what I did right and what I did wrong weighed by the Word and pray for wisdom for the upcoming year.

I would love to make resolutions that are grand and glorious. Ones that would impress everyone. The fact is, I can't. Well, I could actually. I could think of some wonderful things to say, they just wouldn't happen. My Maker knows me and He knows that I would probably not follow through on those things with any kind of meaning. They would be just a check mark on a page. So, I think that for this year I am going to keep it simple. I am going to endeavor to fall more in love with my Saviour. If I can do that then all the rest of those things that I am 'supposed' to do will fall in line and happen.

Do I know what those 'supposed to' things are? Well, I can venture a pretty good guess about a lot of them. I guess I will just have to read my Bible and start figuring it all out.

Have a blessed new year and my His pursuit of you come to fruition.

No comments: